Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Garden of Earthly Delights (Under Construction)



This is my Mad Cow Mozzie I bought awhile back but hadn't gotten as far as assembling. I realized right as I was epoxying the first fin into place that I hadn't beveled the fin edges.

Crap. I can do it once the fins are on the rocket, but my technique is generally to stack the fins and sand them to shape. In a stack, you can see when you're about right.



Of course, plywood fins, there's the layers of plywood to guide me as far as when to stop sanding. So I'll live, this Mozzie will grow up and go to college. Or get stuck in a tree somewhere.



This rocket is marketed as a 'midpower' rocket, to be flown on motors as hot as a composite G motor. I don't know if I'll be flying it on anything like that. More likely a black powder D12. It occurred to me I could use this rocket for a Level I high power attempt, but that would involve putting a lot of nose weight in to compensate for the heavy motor (eliminating the option of flying on cheap D12's), plus I'd have to use RMS hardware because there are no single use H motors with a 29mm diameter. And that reloadable hardware isn't cheap. I've had offers to let me borrow the hardware so I'm only out the reload, but if I lose the rocket, I lose the friend who loaned me the RMS hardware along with it, right?

No comments: