Search Lobsterland

Saturday, November 01, 2008

All Saints Day Launch


Rocket Launches on All Saints Day from Chixulub on Vimeo.

As I say, I overruled the girls naysayery and took them to the park to fly rockets this afternoon.





The weather was so perfect for it, I could just about burst. I even flew a composite motor (I buy them rarely and use them slowly because they're much more expensive than black powder Estes motors; though they pack a lot more ass-kicking size for size and ounce for ounce). A D10-3 in Hatful of Hollow.



Which would normally be a good way to say goodbye to the rocket. Hatful of Hollow, I'd have to run Rock-Sim on him again to make sure, but I think on that motor he easily hits 1000 feet. And he's only a foot tall, about 1-5/8" in diameter, so he's freakin' invisible at that kind of altitude. He took almost a full minute to come down under canopy with only an 8" parachute, so he was up there.

But he only drifted maybe 100 feet from the launch rod.



Thor's Candycane hung up on the launch rode and sustained some repairable damage, but other than that it was a perfect launch.



And it was the first time we'd flown anything since Pattonsburg a little over a month ago.

No comments: