Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Dream Walking

There's this woman I see walking a lot. Sometimes it seems, no matter what time I'm driving on this one particular road, she's out there. She's not in a hurry that I can tell, but she's going the distance. Whatever distance that is.

And yeah, she's beautiful. Kind of semi-unconventional beauty, which is probably why I notice her.

It's occurred to me that she might possibly be single, and that if I'd walk the dog more I might manage to meet her, given that I obviously know where her favorite walking trail is and she walks it a lot.

And when I do walk the dog, I do walk that trail. Not to stalk her, it's a good trail and is convenient. And there's a convenience store at the far end that makes a nice goal for a turnaround point.

So I ran into her, but it wasn't on the trail. It was at the library. I recognized her and had to ask, just how many miles do you walk a day?

I'm not the first person to ask this. She said three miles, five in the summer. We chatted for a minute, about approximately where we live, made first-name introductions, but par for the course with me, I failed to make that into something like getting together for coffee. Ah well.

For that matter, while she's even more attractive up close than I would have thought possible, I know little about her except that first name, how many miles, and that she has a kid who went to school with one of mine at some point. And the beauty of my ignorance is knowing so little means I know of not a single flaw she might have. Like a husband or a hatred of Hawaiian shirts.

No comments: