Search Lobsterland

Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Layup Fun!



The one layup of two-ounce fiberglass cloth on Claude's frail fins was clearly not enough. For that matter, leave aside concerns about them breaking on landing, I can see those suckers doing the manta-ray flap and shattering in flight.*



So I laid up two more layers of the same this evening. To make sure the resin set properly, I turned on the oven and moved the laid up rocket to the stove top. I turned the oven back off, I just wanted the residual heat to keep the temperature up so things could cure more easily.



I accidentally got a whiff of epoxy fumes, which is not a good thing. I'll live, but it's not something you should make a habit of. I coughed myself hoarse and I've had a headache for going on two hours now.

* No, Claude will not fly on N power, but this video illustrates the problem I'm referring to. This is a much bigger, faster, vastly more dangerous project gone wrong. With some rigid fins, I assure you. So while Claude won't go supersonic, the flimsy combination of thin G10 and delicate details got me thinking that I might be in trouble even at 80mph.

No comments: