Search Lobsterland

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sliders

No need to worry about burning out on leftover turkey here. The leftover turkey that was in the fridge was inhaled by Mo first thing Friday morning.

Still had plenty of sides. Reheated mashed potatoes and green beans (spectacular, my step-Mom cooked them with the bone from a Holiday Ham, and they were so good I hadn't even noticed the absence of green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup & French onions) to go with the cheeseburgers.

Also had a flash of inspiration. I think I saw a cooking show where they were making sliders and mentioned using some sort of roll for the bun. So when I spotted brown & serve rolls on a Black Friday markdown, I decided to try it.



The girls were enthralled, though the effect was much more like actual food than a White Castle. I like Little Whitey One-Bites, actually, but these were more like real cheeseburgers of diminutive proportions. I measured the patties with a 1/3 cup measure, and the 36oz package of ground beef yielded fourteen of these burger pucks. So that's almost a 3oz patty. I'm betting genuine White Castles are closer to an ounce apiece. Plus, they're steamed over a bed of onions.

Also, and this is the reason I really miss the White Castle chain (the closest store these days is Cincinnati last I checked), the real thing is then served on a toasted bun. The frozen, microwavable White Castles aren't the same because when you nuke the whole thing the bun turns into paste.



But anyway, these patties were cooked on the grill, topped with either American or Swiss cheese, and served on brown-n-serve buns with pickle and red onion.

As I say, not White Castles, and generally a little big to be called sliders, but good eats and the girls seemed to like the novelty of small food.

No comments: