Search Lobsterland

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Family Movie Night



You know that awesome cheese popcorn in the Topsy's barrels, the stuff that goes first?

You can make as good or better at home, and believe it or not, it's not as suicidal as you'd think. I'm not saying it's health food, but dig:

Pop your popcorn as usual, I use peanut oil when I have it. I keep my popcorn in the freezer because I believe I get fewer old maids that way.

Then butter it, or in my case Smart Balance it. Don't go crazy, about the equivalent of half to three quarters of a stick of butter for a batch.

Then sprinkle about half the cheese powder from a Kraft mac & cheese box kit,* tossing the popcorn to distribute evenly.

Reading the nutrition info on the mac & cheese box, and taking into account the trans-fat free Smart Balance, I bet this is at least not as bad for you as the stuff in the Topsy's bucket. Plus, I don't add any additional salt, though I'm sure there's some in the cheese sauce packet.

Then pop a nice John Hughes movie in the DVD player, in this case Uncle Buck, and you have yourself a family movie night. Awesome.

* Don't toss the sauceless elbows. Save the macaroni for your next casserole. You have 59¢ invested in that box, and there's a depression starting if you hadn't been paying attention.

No comments: