Search Lobsterland

Friday, November 14, 2008

Make a Run For the Border?

I had the honyocks two nights this week since it's not my weekend to have them. And Mo didn't sleep through either night.

She got up in the night at her Mom's house a couple times this week, too. Slept through one night, I think.

Anyway, last night was particularly ugly. It was only 12:45 when she got up, and she was wired for sound. Skipping through the house and chanting lyrics to Sesame Street songs. Not singing, it was more forceful and atonal than that. She was moving too fast and bouncing to hard for music.

After an hour of this nonsense, with her so loud I worried she'd wake up her sister (who sleeps like a corpse, but still), and a time-out for not listening or even being remotely in control, I finally drugged her with Benadryl. Reluctantly, both because it makes me feel like a shitty parent and because it doesn't always work, but she needed sleep, I needed sleep, and it wasn't going to happen the 'natural' way.

It was that or give her the Atavan that's for stopping seizures.

Then, on my way in this morning, I heard on the radio about Nebraska's incredibly loose child abandonment laws, how a law meant to prevent prom-night dumpster babies has turned into people abandonning high-maintenance teenagers at hospitals and I thought, I could be in Nebraska sooner than I could get Mo to sleep sometimes...

And to think, I'd felt guilty about antihistamines.

No comments: