Search Lobsterland

Saturday, August 30, 2008

We All Scream



Mom made homemade ice cream today. Me and the girls and my bro and his frau descended on her house for an orgy of Popeye's fried chicken (why go to the work of frying chicken while you're going to the work of making a batch of ice cream, right?) and the ultimate August dessert.



Thing about homemade ice cream, at least the way my Mom makes it, is it's an immediate consumption deal. Put it in the freezer and it turns to stone. Still tastes good, but it's rock hard. And it seems to go from solid to liquid more than solid to soft after that.



But fresh from the ice cream freezer, it's about the best way to get a brain freeze I know. And yes, I always get a brain freeze with this stuff.



I don't know if it's because it's soft and that means more contact with the tissue, or if it has to do with actual temperature with the salted ice around the canister or what. I can take small bites, I can try to go slow, but every damn time I get a godsplitter brain freeze, one that feels like it's going to hang on forever. Actually, I get about one of these per bowl. I was good for three bowls today.



Between the first two and the third we went to the Meadow for some rockets and frisbee. Me and the girls returned for seconds on the ice cream once we'd worked up a good case of heat stroke.



I have an ice cream freezer that was a gift to me and the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster. At the time we got it, we were pretty strapped and when we went to buy ingredients to use it, the cost was prohibitive. We never seemed to get around to it again. That ice cream maker must be almost 15 years old and it's never made ice cream. Maybe I need to remedy that situation.



Then again, looking at my gut, maybe not.




I decided to get my range box straightened out a bit after lunch while Mo did her sidewalk chalk thing and I found a Guillow balsa airplane. I bought this at Hobby Haven with a couple of chuck-gliders thinking Mo would have fun with them. She tried to throw them like baseballs and they bored her.



This one wanted to corkscrew into the ground but after about a dozen bad launches I got it to fly. In a corkscrew, but a good one. After two turns it planted itself in the arms of a tall evergreen.



I had maybe $2.50 in this toy, so I was prepared to let it live up there if that was its choice. But my bro was not to be denied. He had to get it down, hook or crook.



Then, once it was down, I didn't have the balls to fly it again, at least not in Mom's yard.

No comments: