Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Look, There's Labels!

I had my car in the shop last Christmastime. It was, in fact, my Dad's Christmas present to me. The problem was the driver's window would roll down reliably but was hit and miss on deciding to come back up.

Driving on the highway in 13ยบ weather with the window down is a bit more adventure than I care for. See also driving in the rain with the window stuck down.

Plus, if you need to lock the car up, well, there's not much point locking the doors when the window is open far enough for Bo Duke to jump right in.

So the motor for the window was replaced. And this seemed to help, until it didn't. Sporadically at first, and then more and more, I'd find myself driving with my finger on the button waiting for it to finally take.

I rolled it down Saturday afternoon and it didn't come back up until Sunday night.



So for a mere $350, the control switch unit was swapped out. Which does seem to have licked the problem. Which makes me wonder if I needed the control switch instead of the motor seven months ago.

Still, less than two car payments, so very worthwhile to repair this car every few months. Last thing was back in the fall when I spent almost $500 on the rear brakes (a caliper had seized up and raised hell with its mates).

Anyway, I was startled to see the new control panel has labels. Just letters, 'Auto' and 'On,' words that had long since been worn off the old control unit before I ever owned the car.

1 comment:

Autumn said...

We have the same car, you know. And my driver's side window doesn't like to go up either. Verrrry slowly, sometimes not at all. This surely isn't a coincidence. I'm suing Honda.