Search Lobsterland

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Surf (sort of) & Turf



I got home from a Wal-Mart grocery run and lit the grill. I had two steaks and three trout thawing, but I also bought some chicken breasts to throw on. Theory being, as long as I'm using all that fuel, I might as well cook for substantial leftovers.



And I didn't have my chicken. I called the store, and sure enough, they had my stuff. Not just the chicken, in fact. Two rolls of tape, a package of Mach 3 blades and a carton of soy milk.



I spent a little better than $60 on this trip and managed to walk off without the single most expensive bag of stuff.



Turns out they have a 'left items' notebook in the Customer Service area and I was welcome to go get the missing merchandise and sign for it. Cool.



While I was at it, I inquired about the club soda I ordered. I've done this a couple of times, with hit-and-miss luck. It's my preferred method of drinking water, and Wal-Mart's computer just doesn't believe they'd sell more than a case a week. But when I drink three or four bottles a day this time of year, that's a case every three days.



And while Wal-Mart will order it for you, it's such a weird thing to them. Last time, they insisted for days and days that it never came in. But I'd buy everything on the shelf and they'd restock almost instantly, which would only happen if the cases I requested were in the back room.

Oh, and back to dinner: the slaw I made turned out really well, so I should mention what all went into it.

Half a head of red cabbage, sliced thin
A bit of thinly sliced red onion
(dice up cabbage and onion a bit)
Toss with Ken's Steakhouse Bleu Cheese Dressing
Add a bunch of pepperoncinis and about half a diced tomato

A good summer salad. And if it hadn't been for Em wanting rice with dinner, I almost got away with not heating up the kitchen at all.

No comments: