Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Baby Pics

When I was married, I believed the digital camera was an 'ours' proposition. So every time I went to use it, when the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster told me I should get my own, I suffered great psychic turbulence.



I had my den (with a lock only I had a key to), my computer, my guitars, my homebrewing gear, what was the deal with this 'her camera' bullshit?



I know, I was out of touch. All this is back story to explain why when I hadn't figured out what to do about child support I bought my first digital camera as a 'separated' father about two and a half years back.

One of the fights me and the ex always had was over my tendency to 'waste film.' When my family went to the Black Hills and Yellowstone when I was a kid, I literally took hundreds of pictures, burning up what amounted at the time to a year's income on film and developing. Little 110 camera, and after spending all my pre-vacation money on film I spent the next six months getting the shit developed.



But with a digital camera? I can burn a CD for less than it costs me to mail my child support check. Not the check, the stamp.

A digital camera liberates me to click freely. It's as close to free as you can get without falling in.



Em had a school project that called for pictures of her through the years.

I have some 32,000 pictures I've taken in the post-marriage years. It's a big-ass haystack to look in. If you know when something happened, no big deal, but otherwise happy hunting and don't wait under water.





But prior to this plethora of pics, I have almost nothing. I have a box of pre-divorce prints I found in the post-divorce cleanup, but mainly my pictures end abruptly in February 2006.









So I was tickled to get these prints to scan for the homework assignment.

1 comment:

Sid Leavitt said...

'Don't wait under water.' This is one of the reasons I like your blog.