Search Lobsterland

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Who Says There's No Such Thing As a Free Lunch?

Okay, it wasn't quite free because I got fries and a drink, but it was cheap.

I got a 'reservation' for a free spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-A. It's a new item for them, and they're doing a brilliant little marketing maneuver because they not only got me to go to Chick-fil-A, which I'd never tried, but they also got me to give them free advertising by blogging about the free sandwich I ate for lunch today.

It's not an intensely spicy sandwich, but it's spicy for fast food. Maybe two ticks back from the heat of Popeye's, but hotter than Wendy's supposedly spicy chicken sandwich. Good solid piece of breast, crisp crust and moist inside; fresh produce as commercial tomatoes and lettuce go.

The fries are above average for fast food, too, though not at the Five Guys level. Then again, the prices aren't at the Five Guys level, so there you go. I tried their 'Polynesian' and 'Chick-fil-A' sauces on the fries, the former resembling Russian salad dressing and the ladder being more or less a honey mustard before settling on mayonnaise. I always thought mayo on fries sounded disgusting, but then I tried it a few years ago and I wish I hadn't found out just how good it is, because it's about the only condiment that makes fries worse for you than they were already.

Anyway, I brown bag it 90% of the time, so I'm unlikely to make Chick-fil-A a regular lunch, but on those occasions when I paint myself into a corner and have to go out for lunch, I'll definitely keep it on my A-list. Waldo has lots of great places to eat lunch but most are too expensive and/or too slow for my lunch break, and while I didn't notice a dollar menu at Chick-fil-A, I also didn't see anything outrageously expensive.

No comments: