Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Visit to Tomato Town



I had the most intriguing voice mail when I found my phone this morning (after sleeping in decadently).



My friend Julie of Tomato Town saying she had figured out how to grow tomatoes from cuttings, and would I care for a Berkeley Tie Dye to fill the blank spot left in my garden by the demise of my Aussie?

Berkeley Tie Dye is the tomato I wanted to grow more than all others combined, but Worley had sold out of them by the time I got my wish-list in.



So I went by and not only did she give me a couple cuttings of the Berkeley Tie Die, she also gave me a cutting already showing roots of a Japanese Black Trifele (which is actually Russian, go figure).



Meanwhile, she starts cutting me a whole freakin' produce section. A salad with a couple kinds of lettuce plus some arugula, some scapes (the tops of the garlic plant), some sage (three kinds), and that's not counting stuff we ate straight away as we went through the extensive garden. Another four or five plants, and Julie won't need a lawnmower.



I'm inspired to try and get a fall crop of lettuce in myself, and Julie also sent me away with zucchini seeds, so I'll have to figure out a way to get them in the ground soon.

I guess I've joined the cult. Eating that first ripe Micro Tom yesterday, I think that's what they call drinking the Kool-Aid. I don't think I'll ever be quite to a Julie level with it: she's growing two varieties of hops even though she doesn't really drink beer let alone make it; not to mention Mugwort and other gruit ingredients she's read about (from before the discovery of hops). She's growing just to see what it is and does.

No comments: