Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Tending Tomatosaurus

Not a complete success to report so far. I pulled the silver reflective mulch from the rails of the beds and weighted it down with logs, sticks and rocks to increase contact with the soil (someone posted an anonymous comment that my plants looked small for this point in the season and thought the air pockets under the SRM might be to blame).



My Micro Toms definitely seem diseased, both have curled up leaves. I watered them a bit in case it was the soil being too dry in their pots (which drain very fast), but in the meantime I moved their pots away from the rest of the tomatoes in case they're contagious.



And my Aussie may have bitten the dust. Which is to say something may have bitten it, I can't say for sure. But the leaves were still looking green when I went out there to mow the lawn today, yet the plant was laying on the mulch, severed from it's base. It was as if a tomato beaver had gnawed it down. I threw the severed top on the compost pile, hoping the root structure has enough umph to send up new foliage, but if not, Aussie seems a more obvious casualty than the Micro Toms.



My jalapeno plant could be in trouble, too, it looks like something that likes jalapeno leaves has been eating it. It has a collar on it to prevent cutworms, but who knows?



Gigant Pelina is so far the most robust looking plant, over knee nigh and sporting several blooms. Black Krim, on the other end of the spectrum, appears to be planning on a career as a runway model.



I went ahead and started tying them to their stakes. It seems premature, maybe except for Gigant Pelina, but most of the plants are showing pretty rapid growth, and I figured it was better to have some support in advance than realize after the fact it needed more. Maybe that was Aussie's problem, needed to be tied to the stake already to keep it from breaking off.

No comments: