Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 05, 2010

Old Shawnee Days '10

The original plan was WorthStock after I rode 24 miles from my Dad's house. I wasn't sure how long the girls would hold up at an outdoor concert and all, but it seemed worth a shot.




Then a friend called right after I started my ride to tell me Shawnee Mission Park was having free paddle boats, canoes, etc., all day, and I rode the loop around the park and checked it out myself, so that seemed like a pretty good idea.





But then, also on my ride, I discovered that Old Shawnee Days was going on. I discovered this when I ran into heavy traffic in an unlikely place that turned out to be caused by the detour around the parade.



They weren't selling unlimited ride wrist bands, though, so we didn't ride all that many rides. It adds up in a hurry, though seeing my kids absolutely lit up on the Scrambler is worth $8 if anything is.





See also having them fly like Superman. I wanted to go on this ride, too, but I wanted to stretch the tickets for more rides worse. I went on the Ferris Wheel, but other than that I sat this one out. I suppose I could have bought more ride tickets, but at that point I'd have been better off going to Worlds of Fun, where we'd have the run of a huge amusement park and unlimited rides (on a more impressive scale) all day.





Oh, and deep fried Snickers. It's like a hot-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie but better.





There was a band playing when we finished the rides. Vandelyn Kross was opening up for Starship. Vandelyn Kross is mainly a cover band, seemed to mainly favor classic rock. I'd have gotten our canvas chairs and bug spray and stayed awhile, even if they aren't quite my cup of tea. Wouldn't have minded seeing Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/Starship. If nothing else, out of sheer morbid curiousity, as I think only Green Jellö/Green Jellÿ has had more band membership turnover in its career.





But these two sticks in the mud weren't having it. I asked Mo if she wanted to stay and she said "Yes," but gestured at the rides we'd run through our tickets for.





Em flat did not want to stay under any circumstances. And me, well one baby snickers, battered and fried, was enough to rouse my appetite without bedding it back down. And as much as I could have gone for some gator on a stick, fair food is as expensive as it is fattening so we went home for dinner.













No comments: