Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 15, 2008

That's Your Dad??

Happy Fathers Day. This is my Dad. Normally his eyes aren't this freakish, they're closed in a narcoleptic stupor.



Mo had fun in the play room, getting into Legos and guys and all that.



Then my Dad got out an airplane kit he picked up at Harbor Freight. We put it together and it lasted for one whole flight before being broken by two of my nephews grappling for it.



So I decided to put my rockets in harm's way. Some planning would have been good. We set out as the sun was setting for a park that turned out to be crappy for our mission. So we went a bit further to Shawnee Mission Park and just barely got a couple off.



One of which, Bebop, was lost to a tree. Which sucks. A relatively new addition to the fleet, and an uncommonly expensive kit for me to buy. I usually scratch-build, and if this one hadn't been on a 30% off sale it would not have been.


BeBop Lost from Chixulub on Vimeo.



Still, my nephews and niece had fun arguing about which rocket to launch, then about who should hit the launch button, etc.



It was getting dusk, making it easier to lose a rocket to 'where the hell did that go?' but on the plus side, the fading light made the flame of the motor appear more intense. There were deer grazing in the park, amazingly close, but the light was so low the pictures I got were all noisy or blurry or both.



Maybe next time we can plan better, not head out to find a launch site when it's already almost time to pack it in.

No comments: