Search Lobsterland

Friday, June 27, 2008

Rolled a Few Fatties For the Party



Going to a soirée tomorrow evening with some of my favorite humans out of the six billion or so I hear inhabit this funny little spheroid.  Friends I've had since high school, despite what could be interpreted as a concerted effort on my part to lose friends and alienate people both back then and in my adult life.




So I rolled a few fatties.  Not weed, mind you.  I might enjoy it if I tried it today, but last time I tried it (when I was 21) it did not go well.  Smoking grass and not getting high was bad, but (maybe I was just too high strung at the time) getting incredibly high turned out to be even worse.  The paranoid side effect?  That was the primary effect.  I worried about everything from the possibility of a THC overdose to the possibility that I'd been transported to a ski lodge in Vermont for reasons I just knew were contrary to my well being.

I was also certain that my ex girlfriend and my then girlfriend would destroy my car, leaving me to settle for $125 in scrap value from a junk yard.  Except that last paranoid delusion turned out to be alarmingly true even after the cannabis wore off.




Anyway, after that night some 17 years ago, it's been incredibly easy to waive off the rarely proffered joint.

The fatties I rolled for this soirée were more of a culinary nature.


I made a double batch of pretzels, and as the song goes, oops I did it again. I doubled the batch described in the company cookbook I submitted it to a few years back. But that recipe was itself a doubling of the recipe taught to me by the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster (back when my '75 Sedan DeVille was a rolling lust nest instead of 4000 lbs of scrap steel).



The problem with this quadruple batch is it becomes difficult to mix and knead the dough when it's 3 cups of water, eight cups of flour, etc.



Me and Em had fun, though, experimenting with shapes. I made a couple of bowl shaped pretzels I baked with the convex side up. I have the idea that maybe next time I make a batch, I'll make a few this way and then turn them salt-side-down and fill them with hummus or something. So it's like a tart with too much salt.



Finally I made a couple of Pretzel Men.

And a smiley face, with the hummus bowls as eyes. Em had fun with that. Insisted I post to YouTube instead of Vimeo because none of her friends look around on Vimeo.

No comments: