Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 08, 2008

My Big Fat Greek Disappointment


We tried to do the Greek Festival.

The girls were resisting, honestly, and clouds were threatening, but what harpooned it really was the setup.

I pictured a bunch of booths, food for sale at a bunch of places. Kind of like the Ethnic Enrichment Festival except with just one 'ethnic.' But apparently, there was one long line for lunch, which was all of the food. And you couldn't even tell from the signs how much money might be expected to cover this lunch if you waited in the line.



I didn't want to wait with Mo in such a line and then find out I didn't have enough cash on hand to float the lunch tab. Especially with both girls acting as if my notion of eating Greek for lunch was an attempt on their lives via poisoning.

Which is how we ended up seeing Kung Fu Panda.


Big Fat Greek Fiasco from Chixulub on Vimeo.

This Bouzouki (I think—there's a few oddball Greek instruments of similar description) player, besides making me think of the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch, made me think there's a lot in common between traditional Greek music and blue grass. And it sometimes strikes me that jazz/blues and blue grass have some common ground. But then, it's not like this guy makes me think of Charlie Parker. More like he makes me think of Yani.

No comments: