Search Lobsterland

Friday, June 13, 2008

Stagflation II: The Sequel

John Maynard Keynes and his disciples would tell you that inflation and recession can't go together. Of course Keynes and his ilk are morons trying to dictate economic activity with no comprehension of it.

They're like me trying to fix a car. Cussing at it, kicking and hitting things does not work. Sorry.

Stagflation in the 70s was a bunch of egg on the faces of Keynesian economics, which had been almost universally embraced by Republocrats and Depublicans alike.

And some people are convinced it can't happen again. Which astounds me, because shit that has happened before is just about the only thing you should expect to happen. Nothing new under the sun and all that.

I'm a graphic designer at a small commercial printer. Every single restaurant menu order I've seen in the past three months has included upward price changes as restauranteurs attempt damage control in the face of rising food prices. And I don't know anyone who isn't doing less stuff because they're spending a lot more money for gas all of a sudden.



And all an economy is, really, is folks doing stuff. When they do less of that stuff, the economy shrinks, and that's called a recession.

There's been a lot of talk about four dollar gas, but last time I filled up (sadly, just three days ago thanks to my lengthy commute), I got by at $3.92. Which is as good as four bucks, I know, but still.

Today: $4.04.

I'd ride my bike to work, but that would require me to own a bike, plus avoiding Interstates it'd be over 50 miles round trip. Meaning I'd have to get up to ride to work something like four or five hours after I got home from work. I'd get into great shape or, more likely, die in a week.

No comments: