Search Lobsterland

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Kung Fu Panda

I love seeing a movie in the theater.

I don't do it much. Too expensive.



Last weekend, I tried to take Mo to Speed Racer while Em was on a sleepover, but the theater broke.

For real, I've never had this happen, but the IMAX died and after twenty minutes, they started handing out free passes to future shows and offering refunds or tickets to see the same movie on the regular screen.



Mo was out of patience at that point, so I took my refund and fled.

So I decided it was time for our more-or-less annual visit to the big screen, but this week a better film was showing.

Kung Fu Panda, which is Jack Black's bizarre Tenacious D fantasy bred with the Karate Kid.



It was better than the new Indiana Jones, which is what I burned up one of my free passes on. I'm saving the other for the Ed Norton Hulk flick next weekend.

The Indiana Jones flick: am I the only one who as a problem with things like human guards who lie in wait in a temple for centuries so they can pop out when our intrepid Jones comes by? What do they do to pass the time, cramped into a hook in a wall? Do they play Solitaire on their computers? Oh, wait, there's no such thing as a computer back then. It's got to be too dark to read when you're cemented into the wall, so what? They just sit there and masturbate for decades on end?

Or when Jones and Co barely gets down the scary stairs before they retract, how does the villainess get down there immediately when she wants to?

I hope this isn't spoiler material, but really, so many things about the movie were illogical, it was a real distraction.



Keeping Mo settled down was a challenge, but she wasn't the worst offender in the theater. There were several loud, crying children accompanied by parents who were too slow to pull the plug and take the kid outside. When Mo got vocal, which was late in the movie and not nearly as severe as the ones I'd endured, I heard some people shushing at us, and I almost lost it. I'm thinking, There's been three crying kids carried out of here who have no excuse beyond being children. So back off on my autistic daughter.

Anyway, you know those cardboard cutouts they use to promote movies? Well, they've gone big-boy with these sculptures. I asked the girls to post in front of the Hulk, and Em refused but Mo went right to it and clenched her fists and growled at me.

2 comments:

All Animals - All Wall Stickers said...

those cutouts are amazing that are in those pictures. i love seeing all the cutouts and promotional items at the theater myself. i am definitly going to go see the new hulk movie. I actually work for a company that makes cardboard cutouts and we just did some for the hulk movie, they are awsome. if you want cutouts for yourself check us out at custom cutouts and standees

Chixulub said...

I remember when cutouts where records you could get on the cheap...