Search Lobsterland

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Great War Fly In

Me and Mo briefly visited the Great War Fly In.



These planes are recreations, I doubt there's any flying specimens around from 1918. They're mostly 3/4 scale, big enough you can get in a fly but light enough the FAA barely considers them airplanes. As I understand it, if the airplane is light enough, the FAA's attitude is, 'Well, it's your ass.'



Which I guess is puzzling since they start to regulate model rockets starting at one pound, and a few hundred pounds of gasoline powered airplane with a dude sitting in it could cause considerably more mayhem.



I remember asking one of the guys one time, how dangerous did it feel to build something like this in your garage and then trust your life to your workmanship.



"I feel safer in this plane than I do in a car," he said.


Untitled from Chixulub on Vimeo.

That's because he's delusional.

No comments: