Search Lobsterland

Sunday, April 15, 2007

You Knew It'd Come To This, Right?

Okay, I've been on a casserole kick we know this.

My brother asked me last week, 'You sure you're a cardiac patient?'

Because of the ones I used half-n-half or heavy cream instead of milk. It's a fair cop, I don't think, on reflection, that more fat would make the thing stand firmer.

So this time, I used the 98% fat free version of the cream of mushroom, skim milk, and so on.



And no cheese.

That last part wasn't really a concession to cardiac health. Mo ate all the cheese I had in the hosue except some Velveeta, and while my kids seem to like the stuff, I'm not that big on it.

I found (and promptly disobeyed) a recipe for tuna casserole that doesn't call for cheese at all. It went like this:



Set 1 lb of egg noodles to boil about two minutes less than the package recommends.

While this is going, sauté a medium onion and a tablespoon of minced garlic in olive oil until the onion is transparent.

Drain noodles, and transfer the onion sauté to the pot with a couple cans of Cream of Mushroom, 1-1/2 cups skim milk, and so on.



When your soup starts to bubble, add noddles, a pound bag of frozen peas, a half pound of frozen broccoli, black and red pepper to taste.

Oh, and a 12 oz can of tuna, drained. White albacore in this case, but use whatever is higher in organic mercury. Because heavy metal is always in good taste.




Top with chow mein noodles. I'm not sure that's any less sinful than French's fried onions, but it's a nice texture.

Em even said the stuff smelled good, though I'm pretty sure if I tried to feed it to her, she'd transmogrify herself into something out of a Tim Burton movie.

No comments: