Search Lobsterland

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Buffalo: It's What's For Dinner

So I popped for the other red meat.

My rant about the bees dying off, about how a little stupid goes a long ways in a world with six billion people, well, stupid is a pretty cheerful giver no matter how many people there are. There were a lot less of us when some set of geniuses decided to drive buffalo nearly to extinction without even caring to harvest their hides and meat, and then to go to great effort and expense to replace them with cattle.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to eat the buffalo?



Also, buffalo is a lot leaner and more flavorful than beef, so maybe our McAsses wouldn't be so Super Sized. Even with the beef we do eat, we got rid of longhorn varieties that are leaner than short horn, in large part because longhorn cattle, while requiring less grass and water, take twice as long to mature for market. You even see Angus marketed as if it was a premium product, e.g. 'Certified Angus Beef.'



This is like saying a car is a certified lemon. There's nothing about Angus beef that recommends it except it gets big and fat in a hurry.



I kind of forgot how much leaner bison is, and I made the patties too big. I use a measuring cup to get the patties equal in size when I make burgers, but 2/3 cup was too big. I should have used the 1/3 cup measure. They hardly reduce at all on the grill.

Em was skeptical, but after a bite she said, 'Hey, this is sorta good.'



So were the tomatoes I got. I'm not saying they were as good as July tomatoes, but they were pretty good. Or maybe it's just been too long since I had some sliced tomatoes with cracked pepper.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

I can't eat buffalo. It's the whole idea of it that makes me cringe. Tomatoes on the other hand? I can eat them like an apple. I can't wait for summer....tomatoes and corn on the cob!!