Search Lobsterland

Monday, April 23, 2007

The Scene of the Crime



I spotted this building the other day and had a total trip in the Way Back Machine.

I don't know what the Society of 40 Men and 8 Horses (I think that's what it is) is all about. Apparently some sort of fraternal order of suburbanites. But I do know that when I was 14 or 15 years old, me and a chick I was dating, and her friend (who I secretly liked better than the girlfriend) and another friend (the one old enough to drive) tagged this building with a stencil of Bob Dobbs, the figurehead of the Industrial Church of the Sub-Genius.



Bob looks (as you can see) like Ward Cleaver on a cocktail of Thorazine, Ritalin and Quaaludes, and the stencil was almost too big for the trunk of an Olds 442.

Bob also ended up on the sidewalk in front of a Nazarene Church, the doors of a power sub-station, the wall of a Price Chopper, and so on. We almost got arrested for the Price Chopper one, and the church tag made the newspaper, which thrilled us.

No comments: