Search Lobsterland

Friday, April 27, 2007

Big-Ass Mexican Marshmallows



Last time Mom went to Mexico, she brought me back a bottle with not a word of English on the label and a couple of worms floating at the bottom. And vanilla.

Mexican vanilla extract is, for whatever reason, double strength. At least what she brings back is. They're very explicit on the label that you're to use half as much of it.



This time, no booze came back. I remember the stuff being kind of smoky, a nuance I've never encountered in any other tequila or mescal. Not that I'm that much of a connoisseur of cactus spirits, but it was nice, an element kind of like the smokiness of single malt Scotch.



But she brought back these marshmallows, and I don't know what they feed their marshmallows South of the border, but yubba.



Mo inhaled hers the other day, when Em was on an awake-over. So when Em had hers, Mo wanted some marshmallows, and I didn't have any more steroidal versions, so I gave her a few of the regular sized kind. The ones that would actually fit in a mug of cocoa, rather than actually obscuring the mug from view.



And she apparently was in the mood for contrasts. She got the pickles out, and I told her I was skeptical of the combination, but she wanted to try it.

Pop a couple of marshmallows, take a bite of pickle. Cringe. Then repeat.



I have to say, I don't get it. But it's not as gross as Em's new favorite sandwich to make: cotto salami and peanut butter.

1 comment:

kimmyk said...

the doctor i work for brings back vanilla when he goes on his mission work. i agree it's pretty great.

those marshmallow's are huge!!! now if you had some big ass grahams and a hershey's big block you'd be set for some kick butt smores.

pickles and marshmallows? meh i dont think so.