Search Lobsterland

Monday, April 30, 2007

Never Know When You're Gonna Launch A Rocket


So we're driving along and I spot some folks looking up. I look, too, hoping to spot the kite someone's flying or whatever. Then I see the rocket coming down under canopy.

I still had a bunch of rocketry in the trunk from the day before, so naturally I stopped to launch a few.



Perfect place to do it. Hardly a tree in a quarter mile. This used to be the RC airfield before they built a bunch of houses right next to the park.



Well, it was too windy for rockets. But a huge area, I figured if I launched a heavy bird I'd be safe. Mardi Gras was blown over on his launch rod by a gust of wind and his launch lug got ripped off. I'm regluing that. So then I launched Dudley.



Dudley isn't all that heavy, but for a variety of legitimate reasons that can be explained by people with the patience and math for all that physics stuff (drag coefficients and such), he tends not to fly excessivly high. As in I can't recall ever losing site of him.



And true to form, he went up fast and straight but not out of site. Parachute open, good, processing nicely. Coming down. Coming down...

And wham, lands right in the one tree. Proof that trees don't need sunshine to photosynthesize, they live off rockets.

No comments: