Search Lobsterland

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Other Linkin Park


After the Easter Egg Hunts, we got out the Lincoln Logs.



How come there's never enough long logs? I started bitching about this and my brother reversed the childhood trend, actually handing me long pieces, while he built a highly improbable structure focused on the short pieces.



I tended to go more traditional, log-cabin type stuff. So did Em.


The thing with Lincoln Logs, the box (if I recall) shows some sort of fort you can build only if you use ever piece in the set, with no broken, lost, or used-by-brother logs.



You just never have enough logs.



And then there's the Big Bad Wolf Complex.




I thought this was just me and my bro being assheads with each other, but it turns out, no, this is a universal Lincoln Log phenomenon. It doesn't even have to be malicious. As soon as Frank Lloyd Wright was done, Em wanted to huff and puff and blow his digs down.



And she did. Gleefully. With an assist from the architect.



No, he's not an architect in real life, though you'd think it from his next creation. I remember when he was first heading to college with intentions to the Ministry, I thought he was squandering his talents. It seemed obvious to me he'd be better off designing church buildings than actually leading people away from the True Path of Atheism.



I was sort of right. He eventually changed careers for a variety of reasons, none of which were the utter loss of faith I had wished for when arguing theology with him in high school, and now he's an actuary.



Actuaries, if you don't know, are basically professional math students. It's one of those jobs you've never heard of, and that no grown man could possibly do without extremely dangerous amphetamines unless he was already crazy.

No comments: