Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Old Friends

I was Em's age when I first walked into this house (more or less, I think I was a whole year older). Which means that my lifelong friend who's a freakin' English professor and mother of two would have been exactly Em's age.

I'm not sure what would have been more implausible to me if you'd told me back then: that I'd someday look at a girl that age and think 'child' instead of 'I want one of those but with the clothes off' or that by the time we were 40 we'd think a pot-luck brunch shared with each other and our offspring would be a swell time.



Because I flat out couldn't have believed either proposition in 1984.

It's been a long time since we walked over to see The Gods Must Be Crazy for the 27th time at the Fine Arts. We've known each other longer at this point than we'd been alive when we met.

No comments: