Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 18, 2010

No Sooner Than the Muse Strikes Ya!

Tomatoes are all over the place in my back yard, but so far they're almost all still green. Including that monster Kellog's Breakfast that is so big it has its own gravitational field.

But I got a few more blushers today. Some Isis Candy and Paul Robeson. There's one on the Black Krim that looks like it's heard something shocking, but didn't understand it well enough to blush just yet.



I guess the lesson is don't wait underwater for ripe tomatoes. And/or a watched tomato vine never ripens its fruit.

Worley picked 25 lbs of tomatoes this morning, and I'm seething with jealousy. I originally feared I had planted too many of the things (sixteen varieties), now I'm thinking maybe I should have added a few with an emphasis on early producers.



It's not blushing, but I had to show you a fruit on my Opalka. I'll be honest, the only reason I included this variety is it's bizarre, pepper-like shape. But usually it's a bell pepper shape, and this one is pointy. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I get a lot more satisfaction out of growing something bizarre.

Oh, and yeah, I see the spots on that leaf. I'll be taking the scissors out in the morning before work to introduce that diseased branch to the compost pile.

No comments: