Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Funny (Damned) Valentines



I made Valentine cards for Mo to take to school. Kind of last minute, the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster asked me if I wanted to, and of course I did.



With some planning, I'd have had Mo do the art, scanned it and gone from there, maybe working her pic in or something.

What I came up with, I thought, was pretty good for short notice. And these are cards that sixth graders will receive and throw away the same day, so no need to make a production out of it, I guess.




But I did score them proper and outfit them with nice red envelopes. Used Classic Crest Peppercorn cover stock, which has a nice look, just enough flecks to not be pristine but not busy.



Then when I gave them to my ex so Mo could sign them, she said, 'Thanks for including the word 'damn' on a card that grade schoolers are going to get.'

Ooops.



I included my slug without even thinking about it: it reads (fortunately in very small pink letters I doubt anyone will read except my ex wife) 'Midwest Rock Lobster/When you're so damned cheap you make it yourself.'



It's readable on this, a birthday card I made for my Bro, but much more subdued (I hope) on Mo's Valentines. Or with luck, they are very mature sixth graders, comfortable with the whole notion of damnation.

No comments: