Search Lobsterland

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Bro

I've been sitting on this because my Bro reads this blog sometimes.



I don't make cards for people to be cheap, actually, despite what my tag line says. Even if you leave aside fees for stock photos, I often find myself spending two or three hours on a card.



Which is far more satisfying than just popping a buck and a quarter for prepackaged Hallmark sentiment.

Usually I'm stuck for an idea. I started keywording on things like 'middle age' and got pictures of guys doing medieval battle. Pictures which come somewhere near the violence of me and my brother growing up.



If you are going to make your own cards, it's awfully handy to have a commercial paper cutter and a scoring machine, by the way. Right after you upgrade your desktop inkjet for a Xerox DocuColor, stop off at your local bindery equipment broker. A Polar 78 cutter will only set you back maybe $30,000; you can probably get the scorer (which will also do sequential numbering) for just $7,000.

No comments: