Search Lobsterland

Saturday, April 05, 2008

A Very Blustery Day



First stop, actually, was Moon Marble. We were just there, I know, but Mo requested it and Em groused about it less than the other options I tossed out.





Both of my children refused the Zoo, Wonderscope, the Nelson, the Kemper, the Plaza, shopping, etc.



After the Moon, I'd thought to launch a rocket or two. New controller and all that. But it was windy. Waaaay windy.





So we flew our kite.



This kite is awesome, and so were the others we saw out at the park. a Pirates of the Caribbean pirate ship kite, for instance.





I'd probably still be out there, it was so neat, but the girls were like, 'Yeah, it's a kite. In the air. Great, Dad. Can we go now?'



They don't understand: until I was 38, I'd never seen a kite of my own launching stay aloft more than 30 seconds. Held the lines of a friend's two-hand airfoil once, but that doesn't count. This $10 kite from Wal-Mart outperforms all the kites I've ever owned before combined.



So after a trip for groceries and to fix dinner, I got to thinking about how, last summer, I noticed that the winds really died down as the sun was going down. Many times the afternoon was too windy for a launch but the hour prior to sundown was library-still.





And stepping out on my back deck, it did seem like the winds had died down.






Until we got out to a place to launch. At which point, Mo got out her sidewalk chalk and I started to set up the launch rod when I said to myself, 'Self, a rock on a streamer might drift out of site in winds like this.'






So I got the kite out again. We took it on a walk. Scoped out the park they're developing behind the girls' school. And the girls shared my coat, while I pretended not to be cold at all.





Oh, yeah, and we saw a tandem recumbent bike today. I've never heard tell of such....


No comments: