Search Lobsterland

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Higher Than A...



I've never had any luck flying a kite before today.



Well, there was one time when we were visiting friends in Lincoln, and our host took us out to fly a big airfoil. It was a two-handed job, and I thought that was a lot of what made it easy to keep up: when it started to dive you could steer it back up.



So I was a little dubious of this airfoil, being a single line, but the price was right. My friend's kite was, if memory serves, a $100 or so item, and kite flying was never going to interest me enough for that. This one was a tenth that much. We also grabbed a $1 kite, which turned out to fold in on itself instantly today. Even the airfoil, according to the package, is only suited for winds up to 18mph. It was more like 30mph gusting to 40mph when we got to Shawnee Mission Park.



After a few false moves, I got it up and, damn! I wondered if the line would break, the pull was that hard. I let Em hold the control for a bit (Mo seemed to find the very idea way too exciting to contemplate), and she was actually nervous, the tension was so intense.



I let the line play out and the kite climbed, all the way to the 120 feet of line that it came with. Cool.



Finally, something to console us Lobsters on days that are far too windy to launch rockets.

No comments: