Search Lobsterland

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Big Booga




To celebrate the warm, if blustery, weather, it was time to put cheeseburgers on the grill. First time in a long time, it's been a harsh winter.



I bought the jumbo hamburger buns because I had an epiphany of sorts. I've bought the big buns in the past, but it's frustrating when you end up with an inch or so of bun all the way around the burger once it's cooked down.



I have a patty maker, and I'd always kind of treated the size it generates as a limit. But I placed the patties (a half cup of burger is roughly a 1/4 pounder) between sheets of parchment paper and used my rolling pin to enlarge them. This turned out to be the perfect solution.



I can't imagine why I didn't think of it before.



I also got to play with the Grillagear I got for Christmas. Big fire glove, massive weaponry, guy stuff.



Then, when we were getting ready to eat, I realized that almost all our plates were in the dishwasher I had just started running. So we ate picnic style, big sheets of bond paper on the table.

I thought I'd been so sensible buying the 96/4 beef, leanest I could get. Then I thought of the potato chips the girls had talked me into adding for a side. And of the colby-jack cheese melted over the patties. Mayo, too? Not exactly a slimming meal.



To compensate, we walked the dog after dinner, though we didn't go all that far. It was still pretty breezy out, we were all in short sleeves and the temperature sort of fell of the cliff.

No comments: