Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Kolache Revisited

I finally defrosted the tray of Kolache we picked up in Wilson on our vacation.

The girls, well, I tried to get Mo to eat one and she wouldn't even take an experimental bite. Yet, anyway. She's never met a carbohydrate she didn't like, so maybe come breakfast they'll look better to her.

Then again... I had to coerce Em into a tiny bite, and she pronounced it 'gritty' and 'disgusting.'



The poppy seed filling, I'll concede, seems gritty the way raspberry jam can, but the filling is really about all these things have going for them.

They look kind of like a Danish, but the bread part isn't particularly sweet. Reminds me as much as anything of my home-made pretzels. They're not bad if you warm them in the microwave and apply a bit of butter to the parts outside the filling zone, but it's easy to see how the girl in the Kolache center could maintain her figure working around a plethora of these Bohemian pastries.

No comments: