Search Lobsterland

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pretzels



While I was in the process of making pizza, I realized I had all the same stuff out it takes to make pretzels. And I hadn't made pretzels in awhile.

These are the pretzels my ex taught me to make back when she was still baiting that marriage trap.



They're wicked easy and very good, though they aren't exactly a slimming food.

Heat oven to 425ºF, then mix up:

1-1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsp sugar
2 packets active yeast
1 tbsp salt
4 cups bread flour

Knead the dough and then make it into pretzel shapes. Roll it and twist it anyway you want, really. Then brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with big, coarse sea salt, bake for eight minutes.



I asked Em if she wanted to make some, and she contributed the runt of the litter. Any smaller, and the pretzel could not have held any salt, I'm pretty sure.



I solved the caloric dilemma by taking what we hadn't eaten that evening to work the next day. Let my coworkers get obese and diabetic, I'm looking out for Numero Uno. Sort of. I probably ate five of them...

No comments: