Search Lobsterland

Monday, January 28, 2008

Soda Bread (Cookie)

Okay, I made a lot of black bean soup, dig? A lot, like as in, I still had a lot of soup after I finished the corn bread.




So I made some Irish Soda Bread. Sort of.

The Joy of Cooking recipe tries to be two recipes at once: one for Irish Soda Bread, the other for a 'tea loaf' which is richer and moister. And I got some shit mixed up, because I'm all about richer and moister (and I have the waistline to prove it), but I missed how that variant of the recipe was strictly for a loaf pan.



I got that I could make it in a loaf pan, even that there was a 25ยบ temperature difference in the oven settings if I did. But mainly, I got that the tea loaf used a bit more buttermilk.

I whisked together:



1-2/3 cup flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp Caraway seeds (which look a lot like mouse turds once you've whisked it together)

Then I beat 1 egg with 1 cup of buttermilk.



Mix it all together into a batter and dump it on a baking sheet (sprayed with pan-spray). I mean, dump it in a loaf pan, damnit.

It spread out something fierce. I've been trying to get Em to eat more different things, try foods, and when I foisted this on her, she said, 'That's not bread, it's a big cookie!'

No comments: