Search Lobsterland

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Corn Bread



I started to make corn bread, but Em finished the job.



I measured stuff, but when she found out what I was up to, she all but took over. It took me 13 years and a divorce to finally regain my rightful place as Head Chef, and now my daughter is crowding in.

Actually, I was thrilled. I love to cook. It's a lot of why I make beer, and while brewing is an expedition that requires the illusion of disposable income and quite a bit of free time, cooking is something you have to do if you want to live. Okay, if you want to live without eating out all the time.



Basically, we made the Southern Corn Bread recipe from Joy of Cooking. I know, that book again.



Get your oven on to 425ºF



1-3/4 cups corn meal (JoC prefers white stoneground, but I had yellow Wal-Mart stuff)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Whisk all this dry stuff together, then in a separate bowl:

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk

Whip the eggs into a frenzy, then make the buttermilk join the party.



The mix all the stuff together and pour it into a 8x8 (or whatever) dish you've sprayed liberally with pan spray.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, top with butter and serve with Papa Legba black bean soup.

I got Em to try the soup, even. She tasted it, then said, 'So-so...Hey, that's kinda good...WAIT, that's HOT!!!'

Once again, Daddy tries to poison his offspring.

No comments: