Search Lobsterland

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Upside Down Chicken



I think I roasted this chicken upside down. I didn't do much special with it, just washed it and sprayed all sides with pan spray, then put it on the rack in my roasting pan. I stuffed a few cloves of garlic and a quarter onion in the cavity.

Below, I put potatoes, carrots, the other quarters of that onion and a quart of chicken broth. Salt and pepper on everything, of course.



I was originally going to put the chicken in the crock pot before I left for work, as a start to a chicken soup. But that didn't happen, and this roast chicken was kind of me punting. It was past six when it went in the oven, so I figured I'd feed the girls something else and this would be leftovers.

It wasn't until I went to carve it that I realized I'd cooked it tits down.




But Mo saw that bird and that was what she was talkin' about. Refused other food aside from some celery and a few bites of cottage cheese. Em went ahead and ate a canned stew, not willing to wait.

At 8:15, when the bird emerged, Mo did in the drumsticks, thighs, and wings. Stripped them to the bone.

I was bugging her to eat some veggies, which she did, but she kept going back to the computer to play.



I told her, no Oreos unless she made an honest attempt on some carrots and potatoes. She ate a few, but then things took a turn for the worse.

She was sitting at the computer in the kitchen and she went and had a seizure, making alarming gagging noises, the color in her hands getting mottled until I went ahead and gave her the Atavan a couple minutes early. Poor thing. She got dressed for bed under her own power, but you could tell it was an effort to move.

Then I topped it off by neglecting the giblet stock, burnt that stuff to a crisp in the bottom of the pot. Didn't realize it'd boiled dry until I smelled smoke. Ah well...

No comments: