Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Swinging High & Flying


Me and Mo went to the park while we waited for Sissy's play practice to be over.

Mo hit the swings. She thinks hanging on is overrated, big-time, I can tell. Despite my begging her to please hold on.



Launched a few. Very few. Lobster Fleet is down to four flyable rockets, one of which is Floyd who requires a NOTAM call to the FAA 24 hours in advance.



And one of which is the Inscrutable Hulk who is borderline on grounded for repairs after a hard landing for his top half at SMP last time out.



His top half is still pretty straight, though who knows how long it will be if I fly him on D12 motors like this. He just barely, and I mean barely, got his 'chute open in time.



The weather was so incredible, I just couldn't not go fly. Granted, I'm working off existing motor stocks, so I kind of feel I have to make every flight count. I have a ton of half built/half repaired rockets in the garage but until I'm back to working 40 hours, no way I'm buying motors. I accumulated a few in the fall, when Hobby Lobby was running their 40% off internet coupon, I'd pick up a pack of D's or E's on the way home from work once a week or so.


Believe in Spring from Chixulub on Vimeo.

Mo (and the friend we ran into at the park) had fun with the sidewalk chalk. The friend also had a great time pushing the launch button. This boy was so excited, I swear I thought he was going to explode. Which, aside from all the artistic fun I have with my rockets, I suppose is part of why I'm into the hobby. I'll pull in this park and hear kids shouting to each other, 'Rocket man is here!'



To the rest of the world, I'm a total nerd. It doesn't get much geekier than rockets. But these kids look at me like I'm Zeus. And I think I value the kids opinion more highly than the 'rest of the world.'

No comments: