Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Limeades



While I was cooking up another diabolical curry, this time with actual curry leaves procured from what I now think of as my dealer, I got a notion.

I had citrus on hand because I needed it for the marinade, and because Mo likes to eat the rinds off citrus fruit. On rare occasions she'll eat the fruit, but mainly she wants the peel of the orange, the lemon, the 'green lemon' (her nickname for limes).



The first limeade I attempted was a failure. The sugar didn't dissolve and the result was pretty tart stuff. So, naturally, I asked Em and Mo if they wanted homemade limeades so I could reinforce their paranoia about Daddy's little poisoning scheme.



I got out my seldom used martini shaker to solve the sugar mixing problem. Worked like a charm. Why do I even have a shaker? When I drink martinis, I just keep the gin in the freezer and pour it, straight, into a frosted glass over the olive with a drizzle of the brine. I can scarcely remember the last time I had a martini, though maybe that is a side effect of having a martini at all.



The shaker, I think, was purchased a couple of years ago when I discovered sidecars. The cocktail I had at Jardine's was delightful but freakishly expensive. I made a few lame attempts to recreate the drink at home, but I wouldn't pop for the high dollar brandy and my attempts were disappointing. I don't know why I thought rot gut brandy would make good sidecars any more than rot gut gin makes good martinis, but in any case I ended up with a good limeade mixer.



I squeezed the juice of one lime, added about a tablespoon of sugar, some ice and shook it like it owed me money. Then I decanted it into a pint sleeve and topped up with club soda. For Em, I added Grenadine (which I had in the fridge, and that is a mystery because I can't even think of a cocktail I like that calls for that shit). She wanted a cherry limeade, and when I let her taste the Grenadine she said it was cherry.



Don't tell her it's actually pomegranate, I'm trying to poison her, remember?

No comments: