Search Lobsterland

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Better Than Ketchup



This is a tomato chutney I sort of got from American Masala. I say sort of because he calls for twice as much as everything, and I made a half batch out of timidity. And more than that, I didn't have mustard seeds, which his recipe called for, and I did add fenugreek in addition to curry leaves.



For mine:
1/4 cup canola oil
18 fresh curry leaves
1 teaspoon fenugreek
1 teaspoon toasted curry seed powder
6 dried red chillies
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
28 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Sambar Masala

I added the curry leaves and fenugreek to the oil and heated for a couple minutes, then added the chilies and other spices, salt, and then pretty quickly the tomatoes and tomato paste.



Stirring and simmering for 30 minutes got it to the consistency of a thick salsa. It's overly salted, I'll cut the salt in half next time, but damn. I could eat this as a side dish, it's that good.



Next time, I'll make a full batch.

No comments: