Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Probably Not Another Oscar

Okay, I'm a 100% Oscar predictor: Every time I've seen a movie, first run in the theater, and liked it so much I bought another ticket on the way out the door and went back in and watched the same movie, that's the Best Picture Oscar that year. It was true for No Country for Old Men, it was true for Silence of the Lambs.

Which makes me wonder: will it be true for this? This is the next movie I'm actually excited to see coming out. Because I loved the first one (I have a soft spot for White Castles) and because the idiotic humor of Harold & Kumar is based so thoroughly in ugly truths.

A friend of mine came to help me make a batch of beer back in late 2001. This was maybe a month after the World Trade Center became something you could accidentally inhale. The friend is of Pakistani descent, adopted and raised as white as a NASCAR race is loud. When he showed up at my house, he'd shaved his head and sported a goatee (much as I did then and do now). I commented at the time, he looked black. Well, mixed, but you wouldn't have thought Middle East, you'd have thought Africa for where his skin color came from.

'It's better,' he said, 'thank looking Arab.' His wife was black, I think that played into his fondness for the new style. But watching the trailer for this new piece of Harold and Kumar nonsense, I thought, damn: what would I have done if Timothy McVey and myself were part of a Caucasian minority? After that truck bombing, should I have expected to be strip-searched because my ethnicity made me prone to terrorism?

I doubt this film is Oscar material, but it does look like a better-than-average popcorn flick.

No comments: