Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day



As someone who hasn't had a girlfriend at Valentine's for a couple of years, and who spent years before that in a marriage that had come to feel like a Kafka story, I'm not real into Valentine's Day. It doesn't suck as hard this year, because this year I don't have an unrequited crush to round out the picture (rather, I have a fleeting and incredibly minor crush on every halfway appealing woman I talk to).



Anyway, the only reason I'm marking the holiday here at all is I signed up for Em to take treats tomorrow for her class's Valentine party.

And treats means pretzels. Heart shaped pretzels. A great quantity of them. I made a double batch because there's 26 kids in her class. Then I made them small for Lobsterland pretzels to make sure I had enough. I think I have enough for her class and all my coworkers.



That double batch, I got to realizing, was the double of my recipe's batch. Back when the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster was my Valentine, she taught me to make these things, and the first time we made them for a party they were gone twenty minutes after the first guest arrived. The recipe I turned in to Sauron's company cookbook back when I worked in Mount Doom was a doubling of the recipe my ex originally had.



So this 'double' batch was more like a quadruple batch: 3 cups water, three tablespoons of yeast, a tablespoon of sugar, and eight cups of flour. Eight cups. That's most of a 5lb bag of flour.

I didn't count closely, and me and Em each had one already, but I think I've got forty-ish hearts cooling on the racks.

No comments: