Search Lobsterland

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stuffed Green Peppers



To start off, I had about 12 oz. of ground lamb. I actually bought two things of ground lamb thinking one looked too puny, though the second ended up being used in another recipe. 12 oz turned out to be about right for this.





I cooked a box of Rice-A-Roni wild rice blend in 1-1/2 cups pork stock while I was prepping things. Oh, and turned the oven on to 350ºF.





I gutted the peppers and got them flat enough on the bottom they wouldn't tip over in the pan, diced a half a medium onion, drained a can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, beat a couple eggs. I was going to add the fresh rosemary left from the chicken casserole, but I got to thinking it might fight with the chili flavors from the Ro-Tell.





I worried that I wouldn't have the right amount of stuffing. Too much, I figured I could mound it high or make a little meatloaf type thing on the side, but too little and I'd be trying to scoop the stuffing out to add more lamb from the second pack or something.




Not to worry, I had a perfect fell all round. Topped them with some shredded extra-sharp Vermont white cheddar and some French fried onions and baked them for 45 minutes. Might have gotten away with a shorter cooking time but these were some big peppers.

I needn't have worried about the Ro-Te fighting with the rosemary, these were very tame, no heat at all. Even got Mo and Em to try a bit of it. Em wasn't happy about it, but she didn't complain it was hot and spicy, just that it was 'gross.'






I guess she's entitled to her opinion. Meaning I'm entitled to a couple of awfully good leftovers.

No comments: