Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Rosemary Chicken Sequel



Okay, I learned the hard way to use more fresh rosemary. I probably got as close to using to much as I'm likely to get without falling in. The pack claims three quarters of an ounce, though that includes stems I don't use.



I didn't go entirely purist this time in terms of fresh ingredients. I forgot to buy mushrooms at the store, and decided to go ahead and use a 26 oz. can of condensed soup. I cut this with a cup of skim milk, far less than the 1:1 dilution they recommend.



I diced for the saute: four shallots and two smallish white onions.



I did stick with fresh chicken breast for the meat. I seared it a bit in olive oil before adding a cup each of red wine garlic vinegar and white wine vinegar, which in retrospect was too much vinegar.



I did have fresh asparagus, which I cut into about 2-inch lengths.





I went with shredded mozzarella for the cheese this time, which is fairly blah and neutral, but it works. I did season the gravy part with about 1/4 cup paprika, maybe two tablespoons of minced garlic...



Yeah, and a bunch of crushed red pepper. And quite a bit of black pepper, come to think of it.

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Is the fresh asparagus any good yet? I'm kind of a snob when it comes to my green stalks (and coffee), and usually wait until late Spring to start buying any so they're not too tough or bitter.

Chixulub said...

I was surprised to find good asparagus myself. Seems like it's usually late March/early April when it gets cheap and good. I don't know if California is having some sort of bumper crop or what, but it was like $2 a bundle and it was the thin, tender young stuff.

Cheap, young, thin & tender, hey!

I like my asparagus like I like my women...

Well, I like my women to have boobs and hips, so maybe that line doesn't work...