Search Lobsterland

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chicken Stock




I don't know where this is going to end up, but I spotted an absolute steal on some chicken leg quarters, and it seems like I end up reaching for canned broth an awful lot.



I probably let it reduce too long, it only yielded about 2-1/2 quarts of stock, but it's rich stuff. Should be good for risottos or casseroles or soups...



Basically, I did my best to dismantle the chicken. I don't have a heavy cleaver, which is really what the job called for, but I did my best.

I covered the ten pounds of chicken in water and started it heating, then added:

4 ribs of celery minced
4 large carrots diced
2 large white onions diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
a small handful black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
about a tablespoon rubbed sage
about a tablespoon thyme
about two tablespoons dry parsley



I simmered this, uncovered, for about four and a half hours, then strained it into Gladwares and put it in the fridge. When it's chilled, I'll remove the fat from the surface and either use it right off or stick it in the freezer for my next big cooking urge.

No comments: