Search Lobsterland

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Perfection!

I am so happy.

For the record, I didn't used to have any beef with the New England Patriots unless the Chiefs were playing them. Tom Brady is a hell of a player, and so are a lot of his teammates. I remember Junior Seau ringing Joe Montana's bell when Seau played for San Deigo, and it's great to see the old fart still at the line of scrimmage.

But the Pats are cheaterheads. I know, everyone does it blah blah blah, except they don't. Or else the cheating wouldn't have earned them the largest fine in NFL history. This was something they did systematically and egregiously and they got away with it for a long time (at least since their game against Green Bay in '06 that wasn't adequately investigated). Which in my mind tarnishes all their Super Bowl victories in the Belichick era.



So all this bullshit about are they the greatest team ever? No, they are not the greatest team ever. Even if they'd won tonight, they still would NOT be the greatest team ever. I'm not even sure I think the 1972 Dolphins are the greatest team ever, but I do think Don Shula had more class than to try and steal the playbook from his opponents.

Thing is, winning might be the 'only thing,' but if you cheat to get it, it's not really winning.

So naturally, I was pulling for the Giants this evening. And it was beautiful.



For one thing, so often the Super Bowl is not a good game. When the winning team is not your own team (and as a Chiefs fan, I'm not old enough to remember that in a Super Bowl), blowouts are boring. This game was up for grabs all the way to the ten second mark. It was damned good football, and a battle between two quarterbacks gifted at the fourth quarter comeback.

Bt also, it's a freak when a wild card team does much of anything in the post-season. Usually, they can only hope to be early stage spoilers, screwing up someone else's 13-3 season two weeks into the playoffs. So I dig that Eli and the Giants go their Super Bowl rings the hard way: no bye week, no home field through the playoffs, they just went out and got the job done against all odds.

The Patriots going 18-1 does not impress me the way the 17-0 Dolphins do. Just as Barry Bonds' juicing ass does not truly break Hank Aaron's record. Cheating is just fucked up.

No comments: