Search Lobsterland

Sunday, May 23, 2010

So Muggy

Following Mr. Worley's advice once again, I applied Ortho Garden Disease Control today. It's been awfully wet and his advice is to apply this every week or so until we get some hot, dry weather.

And while my tomatoes look healthy, I did see signs of some sort of leaf rust on some of the weeds I sprayed RoundUp on today, so it stands to reason that my desirable plants could use a little prophylactic help. The stuff smells bad enough, it ought to discourage pretty much anything biological.

I also made progress on the brush I generated cutting down various trees and bushes with the chainsaw this spring. A few more weeks and I think it'll all be gone. There are at least two rabbits who may be made homeless by my cleanup, but maybe I don't want them living so close to my garden anyway. I wish they could be trained to just eat noxious weeds, which is most of my yard.

I enslaved the girls to help with the brush after realizing that Mo loves to throw stuff in the trash. Whole pieces of chicken with one bite taken out after she discovered the spicy half of the Popeye's leftovers, toys she's shredded, sometimes my flatware. It's an OCD thing, like how she used to feed DVDs checked out from the library into the air return vent in her bedroom closet. Sometimes she wants to throw pretty much everything in the trash, and then she wants to take the trash out even if the bag is only a quarter full.

There didn't turn out to be room in the cans for all the brush, but once I put her on the task (and even conned her sister into helping some), she didn't stop until the cans were freakin' full.



I think of it as harnessing her powers for good.

No comments: