Search Lobsterland

Friday, May 28, 2010

Pizzamania



It'd been way, way too long since I'd made pizza. Monday and Tuesday's lunches at Original Pizza only made it worse.





Pizza is like sex: the more you have the more you want. A given topping or sauce might get overused, but that doesn't make you want less pizza, it makes you want to try some different combinations.



So anyway, this was a spontaneous pizza thing, not much foreplay. As in I didn't make the dough a day or two in advance and allow it to rise slowly in the fridge. Nope, I mixed it and formed it and let it rise for a half hour or so on a countertop in a kitchen that would have been in the upper 80s if I hadn't been heating the oven up to 550ºF (I've heard some home pies are made using the oven's self-cleaning setting, an extreme I haven't tried yet).



Made a black olive & prosciutto, a pepperoni and an anchovy.



No Alfredo sauce this time, I thought I had a jar but I thought wrong, so just some olive oil brushed on the crust ahead of the cheese.



When I told the old guy at Original that I loved watching him throw crusts because it was so effortless and the results were always so perfect he started to give me advice, saying if you get a wrinkle it'll never stretch out right, and then after searching for words he said, "You learn it by doing it." So I was overdue to make another shot at learning it that way. Managed not to tear any this time, though I did get the anchovy pie stuck to the peel and shook half the toppings off onto the stone where they proceeded to self-clean themselves into cinders.

No comments: